Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Shantaram

Shantaram - Gregory Roberts

OK - this book will go on my top 10 list. I have long had a fascination with books about India. Don't know why. I love reading about the country. I picked this book up on a whim and it was one of those books that I hated for it to end - because I didn't want to loose the relationship I had with the characters. This is that book that you come across once every 5 years or so that strikes you so hard that it sticks with you months after you are done reading it.

This is Gregory Roberts telling of his life on the lam from the law (escape from an Australian prison) in Bombay. This epic novel starts out with Robert's prologue: "It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know of love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

Lin (Robert's nom in India) and his friend Prabaker enter a society of prostitutes, beggars, gangsters, holy men, soldiers, actors and other exiles. Robert's writes from the first person perspective and it works surprisingly well. We feel his fear, pain, love.

Roberts is such a gifted writer - he finds just the right words or phrase to send the image home. [some people have a way with words and some people.... oh... not have way... i guess]

This book will rip your heart out and mangle it - only to have it all repaired and fixed by the end.

I hope I don't have to wait another 5 years to find the next book that hits me so hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment