Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Book Burning in Kansas City

I have always felt a certain connection to the books I read. So much so that I have trouble parting with them even after I've read them. My book shelves are overflowing with these old friends and contrary to my wife's protests, there they are staying.

So you can imagine my confusion when I read that a bookstore in Kansas City decided to burn hundreds of books to "spark" controversy. I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that in a city the size of Kansas City, there are no takers for the books. Homeless shelters? Libraries? Community centers?

The goal of the stunt was to shock people into a serious discussion about the importance of books in the face of a marked shrinking in reading trends, and staggering waste streams of actual books.

OK - discussions about promoting reading is a good thing. But I'm betting that donating the books to useful organizations would have produced better results.

1 comment:

  1. I can’t believe anybody would burn books just for a publicity stunt. I have a hard time getting rid of books also, but they always go to friends, a fundraiser, or to the library. I like your posts and pictures and have added you to my blogroll and will definitely check in again. Heather

    ReplyDelete