Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Illusionist

  The Illusionist - 2006

* Spoilers included *

Let me start by saying that Edward Norton is one of my favorite actors. His character Derek Vinyard in American History X is unforgettably intense. He often plays characters that skillfully combine intelligence and cunning inside a quiet exterior.

Paul Giamotti is also an actor that I have grown to respect and enjoy lately.

The Illusionist didn't do it for me. I have to say that I expected the very ending from the point of the show where Eisenhim asks Sophie "Look at me. Do you really want to run away with me?" From that point forward we were meant to be tricked by the movie - lead to believe one thing while the reality was something different. Maybe ever since Sixth Sense and The Crying Game I'm a bit wary - but this just slapped me up side the head with "Watch OUT - they're trying to trick you...." The name of the movie is The Illusionist for crying out loud...

I can respect the individual performances here. Paul Giamotti is great as the nemesis as well as the grudging admirer. Jessica Biel hasn't impressed me tremendously as an actress but was surprisingly effective here in this role - believable in the period of the movie.

Norton made The Painted Veil right after this movie. I recommend that movie for the Ed Norton fan. Also a period piece but a much more engaging film.

I'm a fan of magic, all the actors in the movie, turn of the century periods, Vienna.... you would think this movie would have been made for me. Maybe I expected too much...

Research this movie on Amazon


  Subscribe to Oliver 40274

No comments:

Post a Comment